There has been a major seizure of illegal lobsters in Yarmouth County.
It happened around 5 a.m. Friday in Comeau’s Hill, where thousands of under-sized lobsters were seized, according to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
The total seized was 6,222, although the initial estimate had been 4,000.
Three individuals were apprehended in connection with the seizure, but they had not been officially charged yet, said Jake MacLeay, DFO area chief, conservation and protection, southwest Nova Scotia. A truck also was seized.
- Read more special articles :
- - 1688 issues apology for confusion
- - Vote favours strike; but 1688 says go fishing
- - 1688 says strike continues
- - Striking fishermen seek price commitment
The lobsters, which were contained in about two-dozen holding cages and crates, were taken to the DFO site in Tusket, where fishery officers were counting them and taking the bands off them.
“We’re releasing (the lobsters) back in the water because they’re all still alive,” MacLeay said.
Given the number of lobsters involved, he said the seizure was “very significant.”